Background of the Summit
Started in 1998 and organised by the Norwegian Business Association Singapore in co-operation with the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the event has evolved into a regional meeting place for business leaders in Norwegian industry with a focus on Asia. The event covers all of Asia and reflects Norway throughout the region. The summit is governed by a Steering Committee representing the largest Norwegian Business Associations in the region. Since 2010, the Norway-Asia Business Summit has become an annual event. Number of participants has ranged from 100 to 200 depending on location and accessibility.
Why this Summit?
Other economies in the world are facing challenges while the centre of economic growth in the world is in a continuous shift to the east. Asia is and will continue to be one of the most important future export markets for Norway and Norwegian industry. The summit has become the annual meeting place for Norwegian industry in the region, the support apparatus of the Norwegian government and the diplomatic missions in the region and as such it truly represents the recently revitalised “Team Norway” concept.
Speakers and Presenters
Speakers at the summit may be industry leaders and decision makers who inspire the audience through their experience and knowhow. Other speakers hail from academic institutions and help the participants understand global trends and the effects of these. Some speakers represent regional organisations in Asia or host country governments. Finally some speakers are government representatives from Norway who are keen to reach out to Asia and who help update the audience on the latest developments in Norway.
The target audience for the summit can be categorised as follows:
- Norwegian-related businesses in Asia and their leaders
- Norwegian industry players with a desire to enter Asia
- Norwegian government representatives looking to how Asia can influence Norwegian industry in a positive direction and how they can assist Norwegian industry abroad become more competitive in a global economy
- Asian government representatives as stakeholders to Norwegian industry
- Leaders within Norwegian business support organisations
- Leaders of the region’s Norwegian diplomatic missions
- Norwegian academic institutions with a keen interest in Asia and who can deliver future business leaders to Norwegian industry
- Norwegian business related media
The summit shall showcase how Norwegian companies contribute to innovation, capacity building and sustainability. The programme content shall represent the entire region in Asia as well as developments in Norway and global trends affecting Norwegian industry. Normally a main theme will be selected based on radical changes affecting the entire region or the industry. The summit programme is a mix between business presentations and interactive workshops for the participants.
Desired outcome of the Summit
It is envisioned that the summit shall inspire and strengthen Norwegian industry in the region through sharing ideas and experiences. In addition the summit shall help build networks, both in Norway and throughout the region. Finally, it is desirable that the summit delivers key recommendations on development and actions needed to make Norwegian industry more competitive in Asia.